Jang calls for extension of NYSC service to two years

The Plateau state Governor, Jonah Jang, yesterday called for the extension of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) service to two years to allow for military training.

Jang made the call during a courtesy visit to his office by the Minister of Youths Development, Mr. Inuwa Abdullahi.

“The youth corps members are supposed to receive military training for a year so that when they are through, they can be useful to the society” Jang said.

The Governor also spoke about the redundancy of youths after their service, which he blamed on the lack of proper guardian counseling.

“Youths are supposed to be counseled right from secondary school before they enter the university so that they can read courses that will give them a future.

More than 70 per cent of our university students are reading humanities while the remaining 30 per cent are science students.

Nigeria needs to look at the possibility of creating special science and technical schools that could give the youth some hope; meaningful military training during their service will perfect it,” he said.

According to him, the nation is in need of deliberate policies that can stimulate the Nigerian economy by raising the youth in a useful and profitable manner.

He said that if the university graduates could be self employed to provide jobs for other youths, “then be sure the nation is on its way to economic development and growth.”

The Herald NG

The Herald NG is a leading newspaper in Nigeria at the forefront of the digital revolution.

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

The Heraldng

Stay in touch with us on your social networks and never again miss out on any updates.

FOLLOW US ON