The candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Gboyega Oyetola, was declared winner of the governorship election in Osun State that was concluded on Thursday.
He defeated his closest challenger and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Sen. Ademola Adeleke with 482 votes.
The Herald brings you 10 quick facts that you probably do not know about the governor-elect.
- He was born on September 29, 1954, in Iragbiji, Boripe local government area of the state.
- He bagged a Bachelor’s degree in Insurance in 1978 and a Master’s of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance in 1990, both from the University of Lagos.
- He was in Maiduguri, Borno State for his National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme in 1980.
- He started his professional career as an Insurance Broker with Leadway Assurance Company. Although he started as an Assistant Manager, he quickly rose to become Area Manager, Control Office, Lagos.
- He was also at Crusader Insurance as Underwriting Manager and Corporate Alliance Insurance as Controller Technical
- He set up his own firm, Silvertrust Insurance Brokers in 1990.
- He was also Executive Vice Chairman of Paragon Group of Companies
- He was appointed Chief of Staff to Governor Rauf Aregbesola in 2011.
- Before his election as governor, he had never contested for any elective post.
- He was a founding member of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) in 1998.