Atedo Peterside, 65, says generation failed Nigeria 100 percent

0

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Billionaire businessman, Atedo Peterside says his generation failed Nigeria “100 percent”.

The Founder, Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc stated this in an interview with Arise TV on Friday while reacting to the EndSARS protests.

According to him, only 5 percent of the Nigerian population is 65 years or above like him.

He said the generation failed the nation woefully.

The financial analyst said that it was wrong for 5 percent of the population to be “oppressing” the remaining 95 percent.

Peterside called on the younger generation to strategise to put the 5 percent on the backseat and take over the helms of the country.

Meanwhile, he advised social media influencers to exercise caution in order not to mislead their followers.

Recall that the EndSARS protests was majorly led by social media influencers.

Peterside said, “They keep on saying they don’t have leaders but you must have influencers. I’ll give you an example. These things are scientific.

“Nowadays you can go to Instagram and somebody has five million followers. He is an influencer. You go to Twitter, somebody has eight million followers, he is an influencer.

“Now, those influencers should be careful. People followed you originally for music or for something else or for films. If they (social media influencers) want to become politically active, they must be responsible because a wrong tweet from them can prove violence. I hope they have understood that now.

Read Also: Lagos govt lists policemen being prosecuted for extrajudicial killings, rights abuses

“That large followership comes with a responsibility.

“So, if there is anything that they can do to respect the lives of the departed is for them to understand that they will use this power they have very responsibly.

“And I keep on begging them, please, engage, not just the government, go and look for mentors. For men as an investment banker historically, If I wanted to get involved in a sector, I went to find those in that sector who had more experience than me in that sector.

“Don’t confuse that you have 10,000 followers that you know everything because you don’t.

“They have power but they must now apply control because power without control is dangerous.”

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.