Boko Haram Attack, Burn Down Three Villages in Borno
As the rest of the country is besotted by the 2019 general elections, the security situation in Nigeria’s North-east continues to deteriorate at an alarming rate as Boko haram continue to get bolder than what had previously obtained.
Shortly after Nigerian troops repelled several attacks on its key bases in the Borno area, Boko haram insurgents have attacked and burned down three villages on Wednesday in Konduga Local Government Area of Borno, leaving seven people dead.
Boko haram fighters attacked and set Wanori, Kaleri and Amarwa villages on fire in a two hour operation that began at about 9:00 p.m.
Villagers reported that the fighters entered the villages on motorcycles through the Alau Genral area where they started shooting indiscriminately and killing people before looting food items and setting the villages on fire.
Confirming the attack, security sources said;
“We suddenly started seeing fire from Dalori, Kaleri and Amarwa followed by continuous gunshots from the general area. The Alfa jet was quickly deployed to the scene but the insurgents had taken over the villages as at that time.”
One of the residents who managed to escape reported that Boko haram fighters entered his village shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ while they looted their belongings and shot everyone in sight as they fled for their lives.
Another resident who escaped said;
“All houses in Kaleri were set ablaze by the attackers the jet came and chased them away. I have lost everything.”
Bello Dabbatta, head, emergency response of the State Emergency Management Agency, confirmed the attack and said the agency had deployed its personnel to the affected areas although the agency was yet to ascertain the exact number of casualties involved in the attack.
This attack comes just days after several military bases were raided by Boko haram fighters who managed to make away with large quantities of military equipment in virtually every raid although the Nigeria Army denies this.