Court summons Cote d’Ivoire’s ex-first lady, Simone Gbagbo

0

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

An Abidjan court has summoned Simone Gbagbo, former First Lady of Cote d’Ivoire to appear in court on May 31, to answer to charges of “crimes against humanity and war crimes” during the 2010 post-election violence.

A notice from the court on Tuesday in Abidjan said Gbagbo and a dozen of other suspects would appear same day in the court.

It noted that the 65-year-old Gbagbo had already been sentenced on March 10, 2015 to 20 years in prison for threatening state security, adding that the former first lady participated in rebellious movement which disrupted public order.

The notice condemned her role in the crisis that started after her husband refused to acknowledge the victory of Alassane Ouattara in the November 2010 elections.

It said the violence that lasted for close to six months left more than 3,000 people dead and about a million others displaced.

The former first lady is being sought by the International Criminal Court in the Hague, where her husband, Laurent Gbagbo, is also expected to face charges of crimes against humanity.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.