Topic: Dead to the Flesh
Memorize: And the that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. Galatians 5:2
Bible Reading Romans 6:3-8
3. Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7. For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Sometime ago, someone walked up to me and said I have known you for a long time now and you have remained consistent with your faith.
I replied that is because l am dead to the flesh. A dead man does not change. Are you dead to the flesh?
A man that is dead to the flesh is not affected by the changes around him. He is not affected by criticism.
If you slap a dead man, he would not react; insult him, he would not retaliate. That is the attitude of anyone who is dead to the flesh.
Are you dead to the flesh?, If your sincere answer is No then let us look at how you can become so.
“So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:33”
The first thing is to forsake all that you have. You need to see no value in any material possession.
Nothing in this world should be of more value to you than God. He said anyone who would follow Him must first deny himself (Luke 9:23).
How do you know if you have forsaken all?
I once spoke to a man about Christ and he told me that he had surrendered all unto God I knew he was not being sincere, so I said Glory to God.
Brother, please, would you loan us your car for evangelism tomorrow?.
His countenance changed immediately and he said You know that is my only car and I have to go to work tomorrow.
So now, I want you to be sincere with yourself: Have you forsaken all for Him?.
If Jesus were to ask you to sell all that you have and give to the poor, would you?.
Also, the flesh is very stubborn and will not go down without a fight. It can only be defeated by fasting and prayers.
The more you fast, the more life you give to your spirit and the less you give to the carnal nature.
When you fast, your flesh begins to die to lusts. You would also begin to value the things of the Spirit far more than ephemeral things (Galatians 5:16-17).
From today, I declare that I am dead to the flesh in the mighty name of Jesus.
TAKE MY LIFE , AND LET IT BE
1. Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise
2. Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
3. Take my voice and let me sing
Always, only for my King;
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee.
4. Take my silver and my gold
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
5. Take my will and make it
Thine It shall be no longer mine;
Take my heart, it is Thine own
It shall be Thy royal throne.
6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee
This Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye, General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG).