An American woman, Marie Trainer, who contracted an infection from the saliva of her dog, has had her legs and hands amputated.
Marie’s sad ordeal is said to have started after she got back to the United States from a Holiday in Caribean, early this year.
Yahoo News reports that she had flu-like symptoms initially before her body temperature became unstable.
Eventually, Marie was taken to a hospital where it was discovered that she had developed Sepsis – an extreme reaction to an infection in the human body.
Her hands and legs subsequently got bad due to gangrene, forcing doctors to keep her in a 10-day medically induced coma.
Speaking on the tragedy, Marie said, “When I opened my eyes, I didn’t know where I was. Then I found out everything. It was very hard to find out that they had to remove my legs and my arms…very hard to cope with.”
According to doctors, one of her dogs must have been a carrier of the Capnocytophaga bacteria and must have passed it into her blood system by licking a scratch on her arm.