Popular market, Ladipo in the Mushin area of Lagos was gutted by fire yesterday displacing over a hundred people and destroying as many as 50 shops.
Traders blamed the fire disaster, which started at about 3a.m., Wednesday, on power surge that emanated from Osoro Junction of the market.
The traders explained that the fire started few minutes after the high-tension cable supplying electricity to the community malfunctioned, detached from the pole and fell on the shops.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that goods, particularly assorted vehicles spare parts, were burnt at the Osoro section of the market.
Nkire Ezeigbo, Public Relations Officer, Ladipo Auto Dealers Association, told NAN that the fire started at about 3.30 a.m. from the Osoro/Akinwumi area of the market.
Felix Okoro, chairman of the Osoro section of the market, said no casualty was recorded but goods worth millions of naira were consumed by the inferno.
The director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, said his men had responded promptly, adding that the fire was completely put out at 10 a.m.
You can see a video clip from the scene below