German Interior Minister Horst Seehofer on Wednesday indicated that Germany would recommit itself to accepting migrants rescued in the Mediterranean Sea from Malta and Italy following a pause during the coronavirus pandemic.
Seehofer, while referring to a number of recently rescued migrants being accommodated in both countries, said the country would accept migrants as a result of the pauses.
Germany has taken in rescued migrant from both countries in the past but has refrained from making further commitments during the pandemic.
“Now, with the health crisis easing in the country, that could change, “he said.
Seehofer added that Germany’s commitments would also cover those rescued by German migrant rescue ship Alan Kurdi and Spanish vessel Aita Mari. However, both vessels were impounded by Italian authorities in early May.
Seehofer’s comments were based on European Commission that Portugal, France and Luxembourg would accept some of the around 425 migrants that arrived Malta over the weekend.
Meanwhile, many of the new arrivals had been stuck on small quarantine vessels in the Mediterranean for several weeks, some since April 30.
Malta and Italy said they could no longer receive migrants during the pandemic and were calling for more support from other EU countries.