Another topnotch member of the ‘small chops’ gang, spring rolls cannot avoid being served as a snack or as appetizers in parties and functions. Spring rolls are indeed a favored snack in Nigeria and there are several approaches to making this snack; depending on individual preferences. Interestingly, among the several recipes, a particular one stands out; this one involves the use of some vegetables and fleshy chicken bits.
Spring roll ingredients
- Minced chicken
- Finely shredded cabbage
- 1 small finely sliced onion
- Seasoning cubes
- Garlic powder
- All-purpose flour
- Ordinary water
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Grated carrots
- Finely chopped green pepper
- Chicken stock
- Green peas (optional)
READ ALSO: Learn How To Make Perfectly Fudgy Brownies
Steps for preparing Spring rolls
For making the spring roll wrapper:
- To make the spring roll wrapper, you add the flour and a little salt into a bowl. Then you slowly incorporate water into the bowl as you mix.
- Mix the dough thoroughly until a stretchy batter is formed, then knead batter repeatedly until thick and really stretchy.
- Allow to rest for some time. (You can allow to cool in the fridge)
- Heat up a frying pan, preferably non-stick, then scoop up batter and smear thinly (or desired thickness) in circular motions.
- Remove when it becomes firm, flat and starts to pop up
- Repeat until the batter is exhausted.
For the fillings and final preparation:
- The first thing to do is to place the shredded cabbage, chicken stock, green peas (if using) and grated carrots into a pot and allow to simmer until they become tender. When tender, strain out liquid and place aside.
- In a medium pan, heat up oil and stir fry onions, minced chicken and garlic powder until the chicken changes color. You then add in the seasoning cube, curry and black pepper and stir thoroughly.
- The next thing is to add the earlier strained vegetables and allow to blend well with the chicken. Also add chopped green pepper and stir fry the mixture for about 2 minutes.
- To prepare binder, mix a little flour and water and mix thoroughly.
- Spread out the earlier prepared spring roll wrappers and start filling with stir fry chicken-vegetables mixture, then fold and seal with binder by brushing on the edges.
- Repeat procedure until finished.
- To fry, you heat up oil and allow to fry until browned and crusty. Set aside to drain then repeat for all. (Alternatively, you can bake the spring rolls in a preheated oven for about 10-15 mins.)