Mason Greenwood’s attempted rape, assault charges dropped
Manchester United striker, Mason Greenwood has had all charges of attempted rape and assault against him dropped by United Kingdom (UK) authorities.
The Crown Prosecution Service said that charges against the 21-year-old were dropped following the “withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light”.
UK police arrested the striker in January after some images and videos circulated online.
Greenwood faced allegations of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault. All three charges related to the same woman.
His trial was set for November 27, 2023, Sky News reported.
“We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.
“In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.
“We have explained our decision to all parties.
“We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met,” the prosecution service said.
In a release, Greater Manchester Police confirmed that “criminal proceedings had been discontinued by the Crown Prosecution Service.”
TGMP’s Head of Public Protection, Michaela Kerr, said, “it was ‘only fair’ that the force publicised the latest development given the significant media coverage of this case.”
“The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.
“Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail,” she said.
Leave a Reply