After being denied a license by the New York boxing body because he failed a drug test last Tuesday, Jarrell Miller has tested positive to banned drugs for the second time in as many tests.
The American fighter is said to have drops of human growth hormone (HGH) – one of the drugs that have been banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency, in his system.
His first test had already thrown his fight with Anthony Joshua on June 1 into doubts as the promoters explained how heartbreaking it was to learn about such things.
Speaking with ESPN about the latest findings, promoters Greg Cohen and Dmitriy Salita stated, “Salita Promotions and Greg Cohen Promotions are very disappointed in these findings and feel awful fight fans will be deprived of what would have been a great fight.
“It’s a terrible outcome and unfortunate situation for all parties involved.”
The fight between Jarrell Miller and Anthony Joshua has been on the lips of boxing fans around the world as the former has not lost any of his previous 24 professional fights.
The match would have seen the winner clinch the WBA, IBF, and WBO titles.
In 2014, Miller was also served a 9-month ban by the California State Athletic Commission. At the time, he tested positive to methylhexaneamine.
Meanwhile, Anthony Joshua’s US debut may still happen come June as promoters are already making plans to find a substitute for Miller.
Hearn Eddie, one of the promoters of the fight, told ESPN, “To be honest I can’t believe it. You always want to give an athlete the benefit of the doubt, but this leaves no doubt.”