N100m ransom paid to secure release of Chinese expatriate in Ekiti

0

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Kidnappers of the Chinese expatriate abducted in Ekiti State last week during which a policeman was killed collected N100 million to release him.

Recall that the expatriate, one of the contractors engaged by the Ekiti State government to construct the new Ado Ekiti-Iyin Ekiti road, was abducted last Friday at the site by gunmen who also killed one of the policemen attached to the contractors.

A source close to the road construction company said the abductee was released by his captors around 11 pm on Tuesday after the payment of N100 million ransom.

According to the source, the ransom was collected in Kwara state, and the expatriate was released around Ilawe-Igede road in Ekiti state.

“The N100 million was taken to a bush in Kwara state where the kidnappers collected and confirmed it before the man was released at a very difficult location along Igede-Ilawe road in Ekiti state.

Reacting, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in Ekiti state, ASP Sunday Abutu, confirmed the release but declined to comment on whether or not any ransom was paid to secure the release.

He claimed, however, that the Chinese expatriate’s release was made possible after a serious manhunt for the kidnappers was launched by a combined team of security operatives.

“Yes, he was released after a serious manhunt and pressure from the security operatives around Ilawe-Igede at about 11:30 pm on Tuesday,” he said.

Read Also: Calabar Man Named ‘Email’ Dies After Girlfriend Shoots Him During Test Of Charm’s Efficacy

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.