Contrary to circulating reports that an agreement had been reached on a new minimum wage structure for the country, the Nigerian Federal Government had come out to deny the reports stating that no new deal had been reached on the new minimum wage being demanded for by labour.
The latest news regarding the wage crisis was disclosed by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, after the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja on Wednesday.
According to Ngige, negotiations regarding the new minimum wage are still ongoing as the various groups involved have agreed on different figures as minimum wage.
The Minister said further that, the labour leaders agreed on N30,000, the private sector agreed on N25,000 while the Federal and State governments agreed on N24,000 and N20,000 respectively.
He also said negotiations will continue as the tripartite committee plans to harmonise the agreements reached tomorrow, Thursday.
Ngige however noted that in accordance with Convention 131 of the International Labour Organisation (ILO), the most important thing to consider in fixing the new minimum wage is the ability to pay.
According to the constitution and labour laws of the country, the national minimum wage is supposed to be reviewed every five years; the last review was in 2002.
Organised Labour had gone on a warning strike to drive home their demands after government reportedly abandoned the tripartite committee it set up to resolve the wage crisis.
Labour however agreed to call off the strike on the condition that the tripartite committee reconvened and a decision was made and announced as soon as possible.