Buns are a delightful variety of snacks. They provide utmost satisfaction upon consumption and have an absolutely pleasant taste.
Although the common buns made in Nigeria is usually big, having a hard and rocky back, it is important that we know that buns can be made into different textures and sizes, all according to individual preferences.
Growing up, I totally hated buns (rock buns) because of its hard feel. I would always peel off the browned back of the snack and eat the soft white part (I’m pretty sure that I am not alone in this group).
However, this recipe with the use of nutmeg and other ingredients, is so different and amazing. It is absolutely quick to prepare. The buns turn out to be moderately soft (great for those of us who do not like the hard and rocky type) in a smallish round shape and its taste will leave you begging for more.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Ordinary water
- 2 eggs
- Baking powder
- Powdered Milk
- Vegetable oil for frying
READ ALSO: Benefits of Including Eggs In Your Diet
- In a medium sized bowl, add in flour, sugar, baking powder, and milk. Then grate the nutmeg into the bowl and add a moderate amount of margarine. Use a clean hand to mix all the ingredients together (you may also use a spatula if you wish).
- Next, break in the two eggs (make sure you’re careful enough not to allow the shells fall in) and pour some water into the mixture.
- Thoroughly mix everything together. Use a spatula to beat the dough mixture in a regular up and down motion until it becomes fairly thick and sticky.
- Leave the dough to rest for a while (five minutes thereabout).
- Heat up some oil in a medium pan or pot.
- Scoop out a little dough with your fingers (the same amount you’d scoop for puff-puff) into the hot oil, scoop out some more and allow to fry until all parts become golden brown. Place them on sieve and allow to drain.
- Repeat until all the dough is exhausted. And there you have it, your tasty little buns are ready to be eaten!!