Crime

Tension hits Lagos community as land grabbers invade construction site, kill three workers

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Three construction workers were reportedly shot dead at a construction site in the Anthony area of Lagos by suspected land grabbers.

The hoodlums, who reportedly wore masks, stormed the site on Thursday in two buses and opened fire on the workers.

It was gathered that that the three mobile policemen posted to the site to protect the workers could not repel the attack.

Two of the victims died on the spot while the third person was confirmed dead in a hospital.

The land was said to have been a subject of litigation and dispute among three families over the years.

READ ALSO: Alleged N450m fraud: Belgore denies complicity

Confiding in PunchNG, a source close to the project said, “The hoodlums went to the site in two buses that afternoon. They wore masks and shot indiscriminately. Three mobile policemen were guarding the workers, but they could not resist the hoodlums. They killed three of the workers. The land is under dispute; it is very big. Three families are fighting over its ownership.”

The source added that the policemen had been detained at the Pedro Police Station for lack of diligence.

Confirming the incident, the state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Bala Elkana, said two fatalities were recorded.

He said, “Two persons were killed. We are still investigating the matter. That place has been a subject of litigation. The policemen were not detained. When something happens, we ask questions. We need to hear the account of what happened from them. It is a normal procedure and part of the investigation process.”

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.