Three Dogs Brutalise Five-year-old In Lagos, Damage eye, Tooth

5 Min Read

Cries of pain emanates the Emergency Ward of the Ikorodu General Hospital, Lagos State, on Tuesday as medical officers battled to save five-year-old Aliyah Masaku.

The victim, who groaned with pain as her crying father held her close, was attacked by three giant Alsatian dogs belonging to her father’s landlord on Alhaji Abdul Hakeem Bin Sulaimon Avenue, off Ewuren Road, Ikorodu.

Multiple injuries were inflicted on the five year old girl, including damage to the eye and tooth in an attack that lasted two hours.

An official at the general hospital, who did not want to be kept anonymous, said Aliyah might need a plastic surgery to regain the use of the affected eye.

She said, “When she was brought here, we thought she was dead. One of her eyes is damaged. It might take a plastic surgery for her to see again. A tooth was removed by the dogs, while the other teeth were seriously affected. She has multiple lacerations in her face, legs, arms and other parts.”

PUNCH reports that Aliyah’s father, Wasiu, a vulcanizer, was in charge of feeding the dogs after their owner traveled to London, United Kingdom.

He had reportedly gone to get the dogs’ feed on Monday and left Aliyah in the house.

One of the dogs, identified as Rover, however, allegedly broke loose from the kennel and entered into Wasiu’s apartment.

The dog reportedly dragged her from the house to the backyard, where two other dogs joined in attacking her.

Wasiu told our correspondent that he was alerted to the incident by a neighbor.

He said, “Aliyah, my daughter, was formerly staying with her mother in Cotonou, Benin Republic, before she started living with me. Since then, she had become familiar with the dogs and played with them. If any visitor is scared of coming into the house, she goes out to bring them in.

“She was supposed to go to school yesterday (Monday), but because I had an issue with her teacher, I asked her to stay at home till I get her a new school.”

“I left her in the house around 3pm and went to buy feed for the dogs.  I left two of the dogs roaming free because they were docile. I, however, put Rover in a kennel because it was ferocious and had broken free several times.”

“Some minutes after I went to the market, I got a call that my daughter had been attacked by the dogs. I ran back home and checked the compound without seeing anything. I searched the street as well without any result. Later, somebody raised the alarm that she was at the backyard. There, I saw three dogs on my daughter, who lay still.”

He said he subdued the dogs with a stick and chased them away.

Residents, who spoke with on condition of anonymity, said the attack lasted for about two hours, adding that they could do nothing because the fence of the house was high and there were many dogs at the main gate, the Punch reports.

A resident said the alternate exit out of the house, through which Aliyah could have also escaped, had been shut permanently.

“Initially, we thought it was the child’s father that was beating her when she started crying for help. When we realised that the dogs were attacking her, we couldn’t do anything because there were many dogs at the main gate,” she said.

She added that the dogs bit Wasiu and a veterinary doctor who had also arrived at the scene.

A tenant, Wale Anjorin, said chaos broke out around 11pm when some hoodlums invaded the house with sticks and cutlass, threatening to burn down the house.

Anjorin, who claimed to have been cut with a cutlass, said the men vandalised some property on the premises before killing Rover.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, said the case was not reported to the police.

Share this Article