As we near the end of Mercury in Retrograde, which astrologists believe influences forgetfulness, we’re taking a look at what riders are leaving behind – and reminding locals how to reunite with their favourite lost items.
The annual Uber Lost & Found Index provides a snapshot of both our riders’ most commonly forgotten items and most unique lost items. It also highlights which cities are most forgetful, which times of day and days of the week folks forget items most, and of course, tips on how to get your lost items back using the Uber app.
In 2019, phones, wallets, keys and bags once again topped the list of most commonly forgotten items, with headphones, clothing, glasses and vapes following suit.
But as we well know, riders aren’t just leaving the usual’s behind – they’re forgetting everything from generators, to glass eyeballs, school homework (will the ‘I left my homework in an Uber’ excuse actually work?) and more.
As for the most forgetful cities in Nigeria? Lagos takes the top spot followed closely by Abuja. As for which days and hours of the week are Uber riders most forgetful? The Index shows citizens are most forgetful on Fridays and Thursdays respectively, while the most forgetful times are the evenings – but the most common hours, specifically are 6pm. It may be rushing out to that strict at six dinner reservation?
In terms of trends, we’ve seen a few – from red being the most forgotten colour to folks leaving BMW keys behind most frequently. The full results are below!
The top ten items left in an Uber in Nigeria are:
- Phone / Camera
- Headphones / Speaker
- Wallet / Purse
- Backpack / bag / folders / box / luggage
- Phone charger
- Water bottle / bottle / thermos
- ID / license
The 20 Most Unique Lost Items
- A glass eye! Seriously!!
- School credential papers ahead of registration
- A phone number (Impressions last don’t they)
- 1x Uncooked cob of corn
- Weaves/ Wigs
- An invitation from the Polish Embassy
- A hearing aid
- Waist Trainers
- TVs, kettles, microwaves, coffee machines, cutlery and other household items
- Baby Stroller
- Small hand fan
- Mic Stand
- 3x Rollup Banners
- Empty Dispenser Bottle
- Travel Luggage
The Most “Forgetful” Cities:
Most Forgetful Days / Times:
- Uber riders are most forgetful on Fridays and Thursdays, and the evenings
- People are most forgetful at 6pm (the rush to commute home?)
If you’re one of those people who left something behind, look no further than this video, which outlines the simple steps you can take the next time you leave something behind in your Uber.
The best way to retrieve a lost item is to call the driver – but if you leave your phone itself in an Uber, you can login to your account on a computer. Here’s what to do:
- Tap “Your Trips” and select the trip where you left something
- Tap “I lost an item”
- Tap “Contact driver about a lost item”
- Scroll down and enter the phone number you would like to be contacted at. Tap submit.
- If you lost your personal phone, enter a friend’s phone number (you can do this by logging into your account on a computer, or using a friend’s phone).
- Your phone will ring and connect you directly with your driver’s mobile number.
- If your driver picks up and confirms that your item has been found, coordinate a mutually convenient time and place to meet for its return to you.
- If your driver doesn’t pick up, leave a detailed voicemail describing your item and the best way to contact you.