The simple fact is that money comes and goes and only a few are able to trap this philandering mistress. These fail-safe methods of saving might not apply to everyone but we’re in a recession, so just find the one(s) that work for you and run with it. So without further ado let’s jump into it.
1. Live a simple life: Stop with the expensive vacations and trying to live up to what’s in vogue. Mr. vogue is always on the move, you’ll never catch up, accept that.
2. Spend less: Trade by barter is still very much alive, exchange some things you no longer need for things you have need of with friends.
3. Be creative with your dates: Instead of going out to the cinemas, eating a truckload of popcorn and drowning in soft drinks you could have a candlelight dinner, go for walk, or watch a movie indoors.
4. Create extra sources of income: Having more than one source of income gives you the opportunity to save more. It’s equal to hard work though, so buckle up.
5. Eat less junk: It is a general misconception that when you eat junk food, you save more. Sorry to burst your bubble but that’s wrong. When you eat junk food, you are only filled at that moment and there is an 80% chance that you’ll need to refill in one hour. Homemade meals on the other hand, keeps you filled for longer.
6. Cut off the alcohol and soda: Drink more water. Not only does help you save more but it is also healthy.
7. Put money away and forget it: Easier said than done right? It is important to have a little cash stashed away to fall back on when hard times hit you with rocks in its gloves.
8. Stop buying gifts and make your own: It’s not common but things like homemade soap, fresh-baked bread, recipes, handwritten notes, homemade candles, etcetera, can also pass as gifts. It is not compulsory that the gift comes from a store or is expensive.
9. Make a list before you go shopping: Always write down the things you absolutely need of it and take only the amount of money you know they are worth with you. This way you aren’t tempted to buy that stiletto heeled shoe or gadget that looks nice.
10. Practice personal hygiene: Keep yourself and your environment clean at all times. This way, you are reducing your chances of falling ill.
There might be a recession, but it doesn’t have to crush you. Take these steps and you’ll be happier for it. Let us know if they work for you.