U.S. sanctions Congolese Police Commissioner for violence

0

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

The U.S. Department of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), on Friday announced that it had sanctioned the Congolese National Police (PNC) Provincial Police Commissioner for Kinshasa, Mr Celestin Kanyama.

OFAC said in statement that Kanyama was sanctioned for engaging in violence, abduction and displacement of women, children and civilians in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

“Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned a Congolese government official,
Celestin Kanyama, pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13413.

“The U.S. Executive Order 13413, as amended by Executive Order 13671, authorises the designation of persons for specified conduct
`contributing to the conflict’ in the DRC.

“Under his leadership, police forces engaged in the targeting of civilian protesters through acts of violence.

“During this operation, Kanyama was responsible for extra-judicial killings and forced disappearances.

“Specifically, OFAC has designated Kanyama for being responsible for targeting violence against women, children, civilians and for being
a leader of an entity that has engaged in such conduct,’’ it said.

According to the statement, Kanyama’s assets in the U.S. or in the control of U.S. persons have been frozen, and Americans prohibited
from engaging in any transaction with him.

It statement said that the action was not directed at the people of DRC but intended to change the attitude of people involved in
encouraging violence against civilians.

It added that there had been an increase in the number of violations of political rights and public freedoms committed by the police against
civilians.

“The United Nations Joint Human Rights Office reported that the beginning of 2015 was marred by an increase in the number of
violations of political rights and public freedoms.

“In several provinces, security forces violently repressed demonstrations organised to oppose a new draft electoral law that many feared would allow President Kabila to run for a third term.

“Clashes between the police and protesters have continued this year,’’ the statement said.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.