(VIDEO): Sanitiser left in car parked in the sun explodes, causes fire


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

A health and safety expert, Dr Wilson Arikpo, has warned against leaving alcohol-based hand sanitisers locked inside vehicles parked in high-temperature environments.

He gave the warning after a car parked under the hot sun caught fire when a sanitiser allegedly exploded inside it.

Hand sanitisers have become a common sight since the onset of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19). An alternative to regular handwashing, the use of alcohol-based hand sanitisers has been touted as one of the measures that can prevent a user from contracting the deadly virus.

Because it has suddenly become an essential item, many Nigerians take small bottles of the sanitisers with them everywhere and often leave them in their vehicles, negligent of the safety concerns.

But sharing an undated video of the burning car, Arikpo, who is a former spokesman of the Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria (ISPON), warned against the practice to prevent an explosion.

In the video shared on the safety expert’s WhatsApp status, a lady can be heard explaining how the BMW Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) suddenly burst into flames.

Neighbours can be seen standing at a safe distance as efforts are made to put out the raging fire.

Watch video:

Read Also: Family of lady left paralysed after rape identifies perpetrator, demands justice


Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.