Remember the village called Dalori in Borno State where Boko Haram insurgents on Saturday, January 30 set children ablaze in their houses?
Well, the leaders of the community have said they would not abandon their land because of the Boko Haram insurgents, calling on the Federal Government through the National Emergency Management Authority to supply them with food and rebuild their burnt houses.
The village elders said this over the weekend when a team representing President Muhammadu Buhari which was led by Secretary to the Federal Government, Babachir David Lawal, paid them a condolence and assessment visit.
According to the district head of Dalori, Alhaji Usman Lawan Dalorima, who welcomed the delegation, no amount of pressure from the insurgents will make them abandon their village and become refugees.
He said the villagers resolved to remain in their village because death was inevitable and would come to everybody.
While he welcomed more military presence in the community, he urged against digging trenches in the name of protection, arguing that it would prevent the people from fleeing in case of an attack by the insurgents.
“We are grateful for the visit to sympathize with us over the unfortunate attacks last Saturday, but we are appealing to government to stop the ongoing digging of trenches around our community, because these trenches will prevent our people whenever there is an attack from fleeing as an escape route in the community,” he said.
In his response, the SGF prayed for the repose of the souls lost in the unfortunate incident and wished the injured a quick recovery.
While casualty figures had been pegged at 86 following the attack, residents of the village said it exceeded 100, with many still missing.