In what might turn out to be a full blown war on terrorism by terrorists, a faction of the Boko Haram group, who claim that they are ready to dialogue with government, have threatened to go after those perpetrating a bloody campaign, despite the ceasefire declared by the group.
The group led by Sheikh Abdulaziz Ibn Adam on Saturday took everyone by surprise as they broke away from their usual teleconfrencing.
For the first time since the inception of the sect, members of the group were physically present at news conference in Maiduguri.
The group insisted that its ceasefire announced last month was still in force.
According to Ibn Adam, the group had come to realise that it could not achieve its aim through violence.
“You will recall that we announced a cease fire last month as a precondition for talks with government.
“But sadly after a few days of respite, violent began again in the country,” he said. Ibn Adam said that the group was not behind the recent attacks some parts of Borno.
“Those currently engaged in this violence are not our people because our people are obedient to their leaders. “Since the leadership has asked them to cease fire, they won’t continue with violence,” he said.
Ibn Adam vowed that the group would go after those who are still engaged in violent campaign since they had been warned severally.
He disclosed that the leader of the sect Sheikh Abubabak Shekau was behind the cease fire agreement and hence all members must abide or face sanctions.
As a result, the chairman of the committee on Reconciliation, Healing and Security set up by the Northern States Governors Forum (NSGF) team, Air Vice Marshal Muktar Mohammed, expressed hope that peace will soon be restored to the restive North.
“We met with all the stakeholders, like religious leaders, security, journalists, traditional rulers, youth, labour etc and our discussions were very fruitful. We expect light at the end of the tunnel”, Mukhtar said.