An ad hoc technician identified simply as Theophilus who was attached to the Ughelli Area Office of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company has been electrocuted, on Thursday, in the course of doing his job.
The incident happened during a mass disconnection of debtors at the Low-Cost Housing Estate in Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State.
Theophilus, alongside other staff of BEDC, were on power disconnection exercise when the incident took place on Friday.
The deceased was on the pole disconnecting a customer at the estate when the power supply was restored suddenly. He was reportedly electrocuted immediately, leading to his death.
His body was strapped to the electric pole for over an hour before it was later evacuated in collaboration with sympathisers who thronged the scene.
Giving details of the incident, a resident who did not want to be named said, “The incident came as a surprise.
“We were all watching when the head of team for the disconnection insisted that a particular compound should be disconnected.
“The technician, whom they claimed was an ad hoc staff, also pleaded with the head of the team not to disconnect the building.
“Despite the appeal, the head of the team ordered the technician to climb up and cut the source of power supply.
“After much argument, the deceased reluctantly climbed the pole to effect the disconnection, but in the process, electricity was restored to the line, resulting in him being electrocuted.”
It was gathered that the compound in question was not a habitual debtor.
Although BEDC confirmed the incident, it denied the late technician being a staff of the company.
Helen Ogagarue, BEDC’s Public Relations Officer in charge of the area, described the incident as unfortunate, adding, “He wasn’t a staff of BEDC but was working with a BEDC staff. However, there are efforts to go and see his family.”
The deceased’s body has been deposited at a morgue in Ughelli.