Daily Devotion: If Fire Must Fall
Memorise: MARK 1:3
The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord make his paths straight.30. And Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down.
31. And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name;
32. And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD; and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.
33. And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.
34. And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.
35. And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.
36. And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
37. Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
38. Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
39. And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God.
Fire represents the potent and unlimited power of the Almighty God and also symbolises His manifest presence.
From the stories of the bush in Exodus 3:2-5, to the appearance of a pillar of fire in Exodus 13:21, fire often accompanies appearances of God in the Bible.
Fire also signifies the acceptance of sacrifices made unto God as evident in Leviticus 9:24. Likewise, it also depicts divine intervention.
The contest between Elijah and the prophets of Baal is a classic example of God’s intervention in a situation with fire.
“Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench. And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The Lord, he is the God; the Lord, he is the God.” – (1 Kings 18:38-39)
Whenever the fire of God falls, works of darkness are exposed and destroyed.
Supernatural laws become activated, leading to unprecedented miracles, signs and wonders.
I therefore call the fire of God to fall upon you right now and destroy every work of darkness around you in the mighty name of Jesus.
However, according to our Bible reading today, some activities must precede the manifestation of divine fire.
Firstly, one must be born again. This makes you a bonafide member of the family of God.
Secondly, we have to keep the altar of God in our lives pure and deal with sin decisively.
Thirdly, we must obey all His instructions promptly and completely. These three steps will bring down the fire of God into your situation.
Are you standing at the crossroads seeking divine guidance? God requires absolute devotion from you. Jeremiah 29:13 says
“And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”
Seek God with all your heart and He will visit your situation with His fire in the mighty name of Jesus.
PRAYER POINT: Father, help me to do everything necessary to bring down Your fire in my life, in the mighty name of Jesus.