“Don’t chase shadows” – Keyamo urges police to release man who shot Ughelli SARS video
Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo SAN has urged police authorities to release Prince Nicholas Makolomi, the videographer behind last Saturday’s viral video alleging the killing of one person by operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Ughelli, Delta State.
The video had provoked many Nigerians who took to social media to berate the SARS operatives involved and demand #EndSARS.
It also caused tension within the state, causing a mob attack on an off-duty SARS operative, Sergeant Fidelis Ohwovwiogor at the Ughelli central garage axis.
Ohwovwiogor, who had been doused in fuel preparatory to being set ablaze, was however saved by a good samaritan.
It later emerged that the person allegedly killed by the SARS operatives as conveyed in the video did not die.
Detectives of the Delta State Police Command subsequently picked up the videographer, who has been held at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID), Asaba since his Monday arrest at an undisclosed location in Ughelli.
Vanguard quoted an unnamed security source as saying that the victim could be charged to court upon completion of investigations.
But taking to Twitter on Wednesday, Keyamo urged the police to release Makolomi and drop all charges against him.
The minister said that though Makolomi misjudged the victim’s state, he performed a patriotic act by recording the excesses of the SARS operatives.
“I urge the Police to release this gentleman and drop all charges against him.
“His wrong judgment of the victim’s state nonetheless, by recording the incident and releasing it, he did a patriotic duty as a citizen.
“This is purely a case of leaving the substance and chasing shadows,” Keyamo said.