High Tension Cables In Calabar Kills 1, Destroys Buildings


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

On Sunday high tension cables in Calabar, Cross River State destroyed several homes and killed 1 person.

The event left two people injured and took place at No. 17, Umo Orok Lane, in the Calabar-South axis of the metropolis at around 7:30 pm.

This is the 3rd time high tension cables is killing, injuring or destroying property in Calabar, the 1st time was on April 20, 2017, a high tension cable landed on the roof of a football in cinema in Nyaghassang community in Calabar at least 8 people were killed.

The 2nd one being on October 24, another high tension cable fell on the roof of a residential building along Adak Uko Street in Calabar-South electrocuting 2 and burning down a house.

Uche Kalu an eyewitness, said “the effect of the high voltage also spread from number 17 to 22 of the same lane, affecting no fewer than six houses and in the process.” killing a middle-aged man identified as Joseph.

Kalu stated his wife raised the alarm at about 6.30pm when she observed sparks from the high tension cable.

Kalu said “The light went off, but at about 7.30pm, the electricity was restored.

“The spark continued, but the voltage was too high and before we knew it, the small transformer near my wife’s shop blew up and electric cables fell and currents started flowing through everything that had life in that vicinity.

“The fire started burning the houses one after the other. I understand that Joseph had tried to disconnect the appliances in his house when he was electrocuted. He died immediately.

“I understand that he (Joseph) had planned to get married in January,” he said.

A survivor and mother of three, Patience, said the high tension cable almost fell on her.

“I am in great pain, but I am glad that I survived it. I learnt that Joseph died, it is so sad,” she said.

Another victim, Mr. Effiom Cobham, lost N580,000 in the blaze

“Look at my house, look at my life, where do I start from here? I have lost everything. Even the money I was given to pay workers’ salary was also burnt,” he cried out

Mr. John Onyi, The Public Relations Officer of Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company, cant not be reached as his phone is reportedly off.

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.