The Defense headquarters has declared the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) a militant terrorist organization.
The Director, Defence Information, Major General John Enenche, in a statement he made on Friday, said parents should dissuade their children from joining the group and that the Armed Forces will confront “all security challenges facing the country”.
“From the foregoing, the Armed Forces of Nigeria wishes to confirm to the general public that IPOB from all intent, plan, and purpose as analysed, is a militant terrorist organization,” he said.
“The Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) group which has posed to be a security challenge in the Country, has been changing from one stage to the other.”
“After due professional analysis and recent developments, it has become expedient, to notify the general public that the claim by IPOB actors that the organization is non-violent is not true.”
Hence, the need to bring to public awareness the true and current state of IPOB.
In this regard, some of their actions, clandestinely and actively, that has been terrorizing the general public among others include;
- The formation of a Biafra Secret Service.
- The claimed formation of Biafra National Guard.
- Unauthorized blocking of public access roads.
- Extortion of money from innocent civilians at illegal roadblocks.
- Militant possession and use of weapons (stones, Molotov cocktails, machetes and broken bottles among others) on a Military patrol on September 10, 2017.
- Physical confrontation of troops by Nnamdi Kanu and other IPOB actors at a checkpoint on 11 September 2017 and also attempts to snatch their rifles.
- Attack by IPOB members, on a military checkpoint on 12 September 2017, at Isialangwa, where one IPOB actor attempted to snatch a female soldier’s rifle.
Based on the declaration, the army warned Nigerians against joining the group.
“Therefore, parents and particularly unsuspecting residents of the South East and other Nigerians should advise their wards to desist from joining the group” it said.
“The Defence Headquarters restated its commitment to handling all the security challenges in the country and further assures all Nigerians of the protection of lives and property”.