Gov. Seyi Makinde of Oyo state says that the State COVID-19 Taskforce is working on a law to make the wearing of face mask in public places compulsory in the state.
Makinde, the Chairman of the taskforce, said this on Wednesday in Ibadan while giving an update on the activities of the taskforce.
He said the initiative was part of measures to slow down the spread of the coronavirus in the state.
The governor, who noted that wearing of masks was not comfortable, pointed out that “if we are to go through this discomfort to slow down the spread of the virus, we would make the law to curtail the spread.”
Makinde further said the taskforce was looking at a local solution to the pandemic, adding that his experience as a victim of coronavirus was that boosting of the immune system was vital to curing the disease.
He also said arrangement was ongoing to decontaminate the state secretariat between April 13 and April 15, while it would be reopened on April 21.
He said the team in charge of decontamination had sent letters to religious leaders, traditional rulers and private organisations to decontaminate their facilities by using standardised determinants.
“We are also considering rapid testing through additional two testing centres to enable us map the behaviour of the virus in the state.
“NCDC protocol is being followed at the approved laboratory, the virology laboratory inside the University College Hospital, Ibadan.
“For those two additional centres, the taskforce discussed the protocol to be followed and the experts are working on it. We aspire to test up to 10,000 people within the possible shortest time,’’ he said.
On the dusk to dawn curfew, Makinde said modelling of the state epidemiologists would help the taskforce to decide the next step to be taken regarding the curfew and reopening of schools.
The governor further disclosed that government would roll out palliatives for `the poorest of the poor’ within the next one week, although he was silent on modalities for the distribution of the palliatives.
He commended those that donated to the COVID-19 endowment fund, saying close to N200 million had been received.
The governor, however, appealed to those willing to donate to do so to combat spread of the coronavirus in the state.