One Student Killed, another Declared Missing in Jos Attacks


Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Following the attacks on the University of Jos  reported by Herald yesterday, the management of the University has confirmed the attack saying one of its students was killed while another has been declared missing in the aftermath of the attacks.

Following the incident, the military was deployed to the University hostels to evacuate students trapped in their various dorms amidst tight security.

The University announced that a 200 level student of the Faculty of Law was shot dead in the crisis which started on Friday while also confirming that two others were injured while one was missing as the violence subsided.

Related: Armed Gunmen Attack University of Jos, Shoot Students dead in Hostels

The University authorities however dispelled the reports which had circulated on social media that seven students had been killed, saying the casualty figure being circulated were untrue.

The management finally issued a statement on Monday night through its Principal Assistant Registrar (Information and Publications), Abdullahi Abdullahi, who advised members of the university community, especially staff and students “to exercise caution and comply with all security directives during this period.”

The statement read further;

“Following the unfortunate security breach that occurred in some parts of Jos metropolis, the attention of the management of the University of Jos has been brought to the plethora of unverified information being circulated especially on the social media about casualty figures said to have been recorded among students of the university.

It is claimed that seven (7) Students of the University have been killed as a result of the skirmishes. Management wishes to clarify that after a rigorous search was carried out, one student is still missing while one student was confirmed dead and two other students were reported injured.

The corpse of the deceased student has since been deposited in the mortuary. The injured student is still receiving treatment in the hospital while the other one has been discharged. Out of respect for the families of the affected students, the university authorities have decided not to disclose the identities of the dead and the injured but would do so in due course.

It should, however, be noted that following the breakdown of peace in the metropolis, management has been working round the clock in close collaboration with the security agencies and the Plateau State government to ensure that the lives and property of members of the University Community especially students are adequately protected.

While expressing deep commiseration to the family of the deceased student, the injured and all those who suffered losses during this unfortunate incident, management wishes to appreciate the government, security agencies as well as members of the public who have shown great concern about the plight of the university during this difficult period.”

Following the crisis, the Governor of Plateau State Simon Lalong held a meeting on Monday night with heads of security agencies in the state to review the prevailing security situation within Jo and its environs.

The meeting was attended by the Plateau State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Undie Adie; Commander of the Special Taskforce, Major-General Augustine Agundu; Director of the State Security Council, Babagana Bulama and Commander of Operation Rainbow, Major-General Steve Guar (retd).


Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.