Moremi Soyinka-Onijala, a lawyer and daughter of government critic, and Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has received an appointment in the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration.
The appointment was made known by a statement signed by Odutayo Oluseyi of the Ministry of Police Affairs. The committee Moremi is appointed to is known as the Police Funds Committee, and is reportedly set up in order to develop a framework to train and equip, personnel to tackle insecurity.
The statement quoted the Police Affairs Minister as explaining that the careful selection of members of the Committee which comprises of Directors/Heads of Units of the Ministry and senior members of the Police hierarchy was to meet various sector requirements.
The team is to draw up the take-off Budget for the Trust fund; Liaise with the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation for a suitable office accommodation for the administration of Funds; Determine the logistics and other necessary requirements for the effective take-off of the Fund; Develop an organizational structure for the administration of staff of the fund; Develop a timeline for the take-off of the Fund and; Propose a date for the inauguration of the board.
Full list of members below:
1. Nnamdi Maurice Mbaeri (FCA) – Permanent Secretary – Chairman
2. Dr. Kayode Musbau K – (DFA) – Member
3. Bombata Babatunde H. – (DHRM) – Member
4. Barr. Moremi Soyinka-Onijala – (PID) – Member
5. Afroka Emmanuel Chukudi – SA/Perm. Sec. – Member
6. Joseph O Egbunike – CP – Member
7. Shehu Usman Shuaibu – AG. CP – Member
8. Augustine Akpofure Saromi Fsi – DCP – Member
9. Jonathan Towruru – DCP – Member
10. Emeka Frank Mba – DCP/FPPRO – Member
11. Abel Jangnap Miri Zwalchir – ACP – Member
12. Zubairu M.G. – D(PSD) – Member
Recall another of Buhari’s minister’s Rotimi Amaechi is close to the Soyinka family. in fact Soyinka came under fire in 2016 from his successor, the present Rivers Governor, Nyesom Wike over an allegation that Amaechi spent over $500,000 to host Soyinka to a dinner.