The Vatican said on Friday that a patient in its health services had tested positive for coronavirus.
Spokesman Matteo Bruni said the discovery was made on Thursday and that outpatient services in Vatican clinics had been suspended to sanitize the areas.
Matteo confirmed that the Italian health authorities have been informed of the current situation and drastic actions are being taken.
Earlier reports by the Vatican had insisted that Pope Francis was not infected with the virus after he came down with a cold last week.
Pope Francis had earlier on cancelled a number of activities that he was supposed to attend due to his health, making people believe that the Pope had been infected with the deadly disease.
Italy remains the centre of Europe’s coronavirus outbreak, particularly in the north. So far the country has reported 148 deaths which is the highest number outside of China which is among more than 3,800 cases.
According to Metro.co, the Italian government restricted visits to nursing homes and assisted living facilities to protect older people who have proved to be more prone to the deadly virus.