A tragic incident occurred at the Alagbado area of Lagos State after two upcoming artistes were found dead after a night recording session at a studio.
According to reports from local sources, the artistes identified as Ajibanwo Lawal and Sunday Akhigbe were found dead around 7am by neighbours having spent all night in the studio. Two others were found unconscious, and taken to the hospital by good Samaritans inclusive of the studio manager.
The duo apparently died of Generator fumes coupled with the effects of hard drugs within a tight space. Local sources say neighbours broke into the apartment after discovering that the generator has worked all night and was still on in the morning.
The neighbours were forced to break in through the window to rescue the other persons in the room and retrieve the bodies of the upcoming artistes.
When the police got to the scene, they recovered the generator, condoms, food and marijuana, coupled with other hard drugs believed to have been used by the artistes during the studio session.
According to a resident,
“Nobody came out from the studio while a generator was left working. So, neighbours became suspicious and broke into the building through the window. Apart from the dead artistes, they met two others in a terrible condition. We had to rush them to a private hospital. The police have taken over the case and we don’t know the state of the men in the hospital.”
The police confirmed the incident and said the studio manager, Muritala Azeez had stabilized in the hospital and was being interrogated regarding the tragic studio incident.
Excerpts from a police report regarding the incident read,
“We received a distress call from an anonymous caller that a crowd was seen converging on a studio at Alagbado where rumour had it that some persons died inside.
“Upon receipt of the information, police operatives went to the scene, which is Coded Music Recording Studio at Awolusi bus stop. Two artistes, Ajibawo Lawal, 37, and Sunday Akhigbe, 12, were met inside the studio dead.
“One Mr Bamidele Olajide, neighbour of the same address had earlier met Dare Obadina and Azeez in a critical condition. A search was conducted inside the studio and the generator, condoms, bread and food that the deceased vomited and substances suspected to be hard drugs, including Indian hemps were found in the studio.
“Meanwhile, one Muritala Azeez, the owner of the studio, who is already in custody, admitted to having hired and kept them there and identified them as artistes who produce music for him. He further stated that he was with them physically on the previous night and later on the phone with them until 2am of September 3.”
Speaking further on the incident, the Public Relations Officer for the Lagos State Police Command, SP Muyiwa Adejobi said no suspect has been arrested regarding the incident so far. He suggested that the deceased may have been killed by the fumes from the generator. The deduction is however subject to confirmation by medical experts.